Thursday, February 19, 2009

7. . . I mean 8 Layer Salad!


So I just created my own version of the 7 layer salad. We just didn't feel like meat or anything heavy a few nights ago and I went with a yummy salad. I didn't have one of those cool dishes to place all of my yummy ingredients in so I made due with a round casserole serving dish.

Ingredients:
1 packet ranch dressing
16 oz. of sour cream
half a head of iceburg lettuce
3 roma tomatoes
1/2 package bacon cooked and crumbled
1 avocado
1/2 can olives
1 small can of water chesnuts
1/2 frozen bag of peas
1/4 red onion cut into thin slices

Directions:
In a small bowl mix your ranch packet and sour cream and refrigerate. I did it in the afternoon a few hours before dinner. You don't have to, but it tastes better to me after it has sat. Layer your bowl with a good amount of shredded lettuce, layer the chopped tomatoes on top of that, pour your drained water chesnuts on top of that, slice your olives in half and place on top of the waterchesnuts, and then peas, and onions. I then take about 3/4 of the ranch mix and pour and smoothe on top of the salad and then finish it off with shredded chedder cheese on top.

On a side note: We do use turkey bacon and reduced fat sour cream to cut back on the calories and fat and it is just as good. Seriously. I can't do the fat free sour cream, but the reduced fat light is just as good. Enjoy! This is a perfect meal during the hot summer days when you don't want to be in the hot kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment